It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm trying to get Dungeon Keeper 2 to run on my Surface Pro 3 (the standard i5 128GB model)., which is running the 64-bit version of Windows 8.1 Pro.

The game fails to start and I get the following application error notice for DKII-DK.exe:

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). Click OK to close the application.

I've tried running in compatibility mode for various versions of Windows and the game doesn't start for any of them.

It seems to start-up and run fine on other Windows 8.1 64-bit machines.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Attachments:
I'm still seeing this error when trying to start Dungeon Keeper 2. Anybody else playing Dungeon Keeper 2 on a Surface Pro 3 having the same issue?
troybenedict: I'm still seeing this error when trying to start Dungeon Keeper 2. Anybody else playing Dungeon Keeper 2 on a Surface Pro 3 having the same issue?
I just tried on my Surface 2 Pro. I get the DKII-DX crash as soon as I click on any of the opening menu options.

The game doesn't work at all... but at least it was on sale.
troybenedict: I'm still seeing this error when trying to start Dungeon Keeper 2. Anybody else playing Dungeon Keeper 2 on a Surface Pro 3 having the same issue?
mstaroscik: I just tried on my Surface 2 Pro. I get the DKII-DX crash as soon as I click on any of the opening menu options.

The game doesn't work at all... but at least it was on sale.
Sorry for the necro, but I have the same issue with my surface pro 4. I'm thinking it has something to do with the native resolution of the surface tablets..
Check to make sure that Direct Play 3D is enabled in Windows features and try downloading the DirectX 9.0c runtime components.
theailer: Sorry for the necro, but I have the same issue with my surface pro 4. I'm thinking it has something to do with the native resolution of the surface tablets..
i didn't have any crashes with the dx version on my pro 3. I just had to set the compatibilty mode to overwrite the dpi-scaling, otherwise the mouse would disappear in the main menu.

Have you tried to use the normal exe (DKII.exe) or the safemode?
Post edited May 17, 2017 by ufdada
Had the same problem and error report. This is what fixed it for many of us:

enable direct playinn the windows options

https://www.gog.com/forum/dungeon_keeper_series/dungeon_keeper_2_game_wont_even_launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qgcFpxUNBg