It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Lodium: Theres no internatonal laws against regional pricing when it comes to digital sales.
I suspect there never will be
HypersomniacLive: I'm actually more interested in the existence or introduction of any sort of regulations than suing the publishers.
Regulations are more likely to protect the interests of big businesses than to care for the sheeple
low rated
VoxDeNube: Strangely I don't feel betrayed, so you can't really say they have betrayed their customers as I am one of them. They haven't betrayed their principles as mush as updated them.
Ichwillnichtmehr: GOG.com claimed, that "flat prices" was one of their core values.

GOG.com claimed, that they would stick with their core values.
Now they are going to stick with their core values a little differently, by adding.
Ichwillnichtmehr: GOG.com claimed, that "flat prices" was one of their core values.

VoxDeNube: Now they are going to stick with their core values a little differently, by adding.
How is removing a core value "adding"?
kwerboom: I'm hoping this whole situation is like when President Ronald Reagan said, "If you got seventy-five or eighty percent of what you were asking for, I say, you take it and fight for the rest later.” I would like to believe that GOG traded flat pricing for DRM-free and will return to the pricing models fight when it has a victory on DRM.
This is what I'm hoping too. Regional pricing is going to be very, very difficult to fight as long physical retail is still a big thing in many parts of the world. Changing it isn't as simple a matter as some here would like to believe.

Better to win on the DRM-free issue now and fight for fairer pricing later - when the situation with the market is more favourable for that - than to have halted progress on both fronts.
The thing that worries me is people dropping GOG. GOG has been able to get the concessions it has gotten because of the size and dedication of its community. If people move over to other stores with DRM or leave gaming, then GOG will shrink and Steam will grow leading to a worse bargaining position for GOG and PC gaming worse off.
I just hope that everyone who's complaining now also refuses to buy anything on Steam, at retail or at any other store that uses regional pricing. And makes sure to complain to the relevant publishers each time they refuse to buy a game they'd otherwise be interested in if not for regional pricing.

adamhm: As to why it's extremely difficult for such big releases to get worldwide pricing, see here
mobutu: The argument that you cannot have a worldwide price in order to protect a constant shrinking year after year physical market is not holding up, at least for me. sorry
Well like it or not retail is still a big thing and represents a large proportion of global sales and is a big sticking point for regional pricing.

Look at it from the retailer's perspective. Would you stock a game knowing that people can just buy the same game online through digital stores for considerably less? Would you stock a game if it cost as much as the average person in your country earns in e.g. a week (or more)?

Look at it from the publisher's perspective. Would you be willing to sacrifice a lot of your global sales just so you can adopt worldwide pricing digitally in order to get your game onto one digital store for a much smaller gain? As well as having to commit to a DRM-free release, which is an issue you (and especially your investors) are still very wary about due to piracy concerns?

Trilarion: People buy digitally high prices of games in EU and Australia. But you say that if these high prices would be worldwide in effect (they cannot be even higher because these prices are already the highest) then almost nobody not even EU or Austrialians would buy?? Don't really understand that point.
Let's say a game was released with this pricing at physical retailers (RRP, so retailers are not bound to sell at these prices and can sell for less):

US: $60
UK: $70
EU: $75
AU: $150

If the publisher decided to use worldwide pricing instead of regional pricing for digital sales and without dropping retail completely or pissing off any of the retailers, then everyone wanting to buy the game digitally would have to pay the Australian price of $150 regardless of their region. It would kill most of the digital sales for that game... and imagine the anger and "rage piracy" that would result.
This is a very good short summary of GOGs opinion although I'm not completely convinced that it is currently next to impossible for a brand new big name release. Maybe just nobody really tried and saw what happens if you brush off some or all retailers.
Retail is still a big thing in some parts of the world and accounts for a fairly large proportion of global sales... they're not going to throw those away chasing after much smaller, riskier gains in the digital marketplace.

Another thing to consider is that if they anger the retailers, those retailers might also refuse to stock their console games, which would be a much bigger problem for the publishers given the much larger size of the console market and even greater dependency on retail sales than on PC.
If you continue buying this is also not a good signal to show that you don't like regional pricing, in case you don't like it. So I wonder what is the best signal. Currently I think the best signal is to wait and not buy anything in a rush. If you happen to live in a high priced region, maybe better buying everything only in a sale several months later than usual.

When I bought Witcher 2 from CDP I deliberately spent $20 more than strictly necessary because I bought it 2 years before I actually played it. Do I have to do it again like this?

And when I gifted games worldwide easily because there wasn't any region lock I did so happily. But I don't need to continue with this.

I wish GOG would have communicated the issue as clearly as you. Basically they had goals and greater goals. And maximizing the number of DRM free games trumps worldwide equal pricing. Only their former video sounds so ironically in the light of the current events. They have hired the evil guy again.

In the end I think it will depend on the games. Maybe they are worth it. GOG still has this ace up the sleeves.
From what GOG have been telling us it seems these upcoming games wouldn't have been released DRM-free otherwise and would still have had regional pricing anyway... so I say treat them little differently to how you would on other stores, but taking into account the better value they will have here due to being DRM-free.

VoxDeNube: Now they are going to stick with their core values a little differently, by adding.
Just the opposite, they are taking away. It's all about the money. They'll use any reason they can find to charge some people more than others, like for example what country you live in.
VoxDeNube: ...As is for the prices, money is the least important thing this life can steal away from me. ...
I understand you. You value DRM free much, much higher than worldwide flat prices. Probably GOG does so too and that's why the presentations in the past where gave put both on kind of the same importance were misleading. DRM free clearly trumps worldwide equal prices. I think so myself but not that strong and not that exclusively.

I value both because of their own. I think that apart from paying a bit more less, you shouldn't discriminate people by its origin.

I agree that money isn't the most important, but it isn't the least important thing too. It plays a big role in our everyday lifes. We can see the role more clearly if the money is not there though.
VoxDeNube: ...As is for the prices, money is the least important thing this life can steal away from me. ...
Trilarion: I understand you. You value DRM free much, much higher than worldwide flat prices. Probably GOG does so too and that's why the presentations in the past where gave put both on kind of the same importance were misleading. DRM free clearly trumps worldwide equal prices. I think so myself but not that strong and not that exclusively.

I value both because of their own. I think that apart from paying a bit more less, you shouldn't discriminate people by its origin.

I agree that money isn't the most important, but it isn't the least important thing too. It plays a big role in our everyday lifes. We can see the role more clearly if the money is not there though.
I agree with you on everything.
Kristian: PWYW isn't really compatible with regional pricing!
And yet Indie Royale does it.
Ganni1987: Many people here disagree with this change and partially so do I, but I really have to ask, do any of you buy games on Steam or GamersGate?
Steam == Never, I only get their keys in bundles or from boxed copies. I see them as a rental service so I want the very best price and Steam just does not deliver.

GamersGate == Yes, and quite regularly. They have lots of DRM-free games that I buy as they are not available here. I always use to rebuy the games when they came here for the better customer care and installer plus the goodies.
Now that GOG will be charging me the same price as GG I will have to consider who has the better deal at the time of purchase.

Shiny Loot == Yes, DRM-free games and at not too bad a price. Customer support is even reasonable. I complained that they did not differentiate(?) between online one time keys and a simple CD key check. They apologised after I explained my issue with it and about a week later the games began listing One time online check or one time CD key.

HB == Only bundles and only if they have good, interesting DRM-free games.

IGS == Only their DRM-free games. They are not too quick with responses either, but they seem to try.

Square Enix == Yes. I even bought their Steam box just because it was rental price. I have also bought two DRM-free games from them.

mondo84: In case anyone reading the thread just wants to see TET's responses, they can browse the thread showing only staff posts.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/announcement_big_preorders_launch_day_releases_coming?staff=yes
+1
I did not know we could do that!!!!
yoyolll: Just the opposite, they are taking away. It's all about the money. They'll use any reason they can find to charge some people more than others, like for example what country you live in.
It doesn't matter really, forget about all I said. You have your opinions, I have mine. They will always find a reason, so will you and I.
Phc7006: Regulations are more likely to protect the interests of big businesses than to care for the sheeple
Can't a man dream? :(
Ichwillnichtmehr: How is removing a core value "adding"?
It's simple. I feel like they are adding, you feel like they are removing. Fair enough.
kwerboom: I'm hoping this whole situation is like when President Ronald Reagan said, "If you got seventy-five or eighty percent of what you were asking for, I say, you take it and fight for the rest later.” I would like to believe that GOG traded flat pricing for DRM-free and will return to the pricing models fight when it has a victory on DRM.
adamhm: This is what I'm hoping too. Regional pricing is going to be very, very difficult to fight as long physical retail is still a big thing in many parts of the world. Changing it isn't as simple a matter as some here would like to believe.

Better to win on the DRM-free issue now and fight for fairer pricing later - when the situation with the market is more favourable for that - than to have halted progress on both fronts.

The thing that worries me is people dropping GOG. GOG has been able to get the concessions it has gotten because of the size and dedication of its community. If people move over to other stores with DRM or leave gaming, then GOG will shrink and Steam will grow leading to a worse bargaining position for GOG and PC gaming worse off.
adamhm: I just hope that everyone who's complaining now also refuses to buy anything on Steam, at retail or at any other store that uses regional pricing. And makes sure to complain to the relevant publishers each time they refuse to buy a game they'd otherwise be interested in if not for regional pricing.

mobutu: The argument that you cannot have a worldwide price in order to protect a constant shrinking year after year physical market is not holding up, at least for me. sorry
adamhm: Well like it or not retail is still a big thing and represents a large proportion of global sales and is a big sticking point for regional pricing.

Look at it from the retailer's perspective. Would you stock a game knowing that people can just buy the same game online through digital stores for considerably less? Would you stock a game if it cost as much as the average person in your country earns in e.g. a week (or more)?

Look at it from the publisher's perspective. Would you be willing to sacrifice a lot of your global sales just so you can adopt worldwide pricing digitally in order to get your game onto one digital store for a much smaller gain? As well as having to commit to a DRM-free release, which is an issue you (and especially your investors) are still very wary about due to piracy concerns?

Trilarion: People buy digitally high prices of games in EU and Australia. But you say that if these high prices would be worldwide in effect (they cannot be even higher because these prices are already the highest) then almost nobody not even EU or Austrialians would buy?? Don't really understand that point.
adamhm: Let's say a game was released with this pricing at physical retailers (RRP, so retailers are not bound to sell at these prices and can sell for less):

US: $60
UK: $70
EU: $75
AU: $150

If the publisher decided to use worldwide pricing instead of regional pricing for digital sales and without dropping retail completely or pissing off any of the retailers, then everyone wanting to buy the game digitally would have to pay the Australian price of $150 regardless of their region. It would kill most of the digital sales for that game... and imagine the anger and "rage piracy" that would result.

This is a very good short summary of GOGs opinion although I'm not completely convinced that it is currently next to impossible for a brand new big name release. Maybe just nobody really tried and saw what happens if you brush off some or all retailers.
adamhm: Retail is still a big thing in some parts of the world and accounts for a fairly large proportion of global sales... they're not going to throw those away chasing after much smaller, riskier gains in the digital marketplace.

Another thing to consider is that if they anger the retailers, those retailers might also refuse to stock their console games, which would be a much bigger problem for the publishers given the much larger size of the console market and even greater dependency on retail sales than on PC.

If you continue buying this is also not a good signal to show that you don't like regional pricing, in case you don't like it. So I wonder what is the best signal. Currently I think the best signal is to wait and not buy anything in a rush. If you happen to live in a high priced region, maybe better buying everything only in a sale several months later than usual.

When I bought Witcher 2 from CDP I deliberately spent $20 more than strictly necessary because I bought it 2 years before I actually played it. Do I have to do it again like this?

And when I gifted games worldwide easily because there wasn't any region lock I did so happily. But I don't need to continue with this.

I wish GOG would have communicated the issue as clearly as you. Basically they had goals and greater goals. And maximizing the number of DRM free games trumps worldwide equal pricing. Only their former video sounds so ironically in the light of the current events. They have hired the evil guy again.

In the end I think it will depend on the games. Maybe they are worth it. GOG still has this ace up the sleeves.
adamhm: From what GOG have been telling us it seems these upcoming games wouldn't have been released DRM-free otherwise and would still have had regional pricing anyway... so I say treat them little differently to how you would on other stores, but taking into account the better value they will have here due to being DRM-free.
As i said. If publishers wanna use a brand they should stay with what the brand makes strong. Why should GOG take the hit on their brand?
Basically it's about trust in a brand. What i said also ... what will they drop next ? (Oh wasn't GOG the side which always include goodies ??? But that means we can't sell our hyper mega cool digital deluxe version anymore ... so oh yeah lets ask GOG do drop that too ... cause yeah we still publish it for free ...)

Do you realy think thats good for the brand GOG? Is it what you love about GOG giving up on their principles?

As hard as it sometimes is.. i don't buy new EA Products cause EA have forgotten their customers. I don't buy new UBISoft Products cause the same. I buy on steam cause ... sadly GOG never heard my linux crying.

So i stand by my words .. Never drop principles which made your brand strong , stay true to yourself. Better loose some sales before you loose customers cause they don't trust you anymore.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by unknown78
HypersomniacLive: I'm actually more interested in the existence or introduction of any sort of regulations than suing the publishers.
Phc7006: Regulations are more likely to protect the interests of big businesses than to care for the sheeple
Well the only thing i know of that migth regulate market in the future is some kind of fair trade act.
If i remember correctly there has been some talk about implementing that as a law when trading with porer contrys like in africa for example.
Its uncertian if it ever gets implemented internationally though since you had contrys that will vote it down.

But i dont think that will aply for digital stuff, maybe just coffe and such.
IAmSinistar: Do any of those have to eat the transactional fees themselves? For example, when selling through a widget to different countries? Not being a retailer I don't really know that end of the business. I'm more curious as to whether flat pricing is viable once a retailer reaches a certain size.
amok: The stores do not really have anything to with transactional fees, it is up to bank/PayPal/payment method - so I guess the answer is no (as far as I know)
Right, I should have more specifically asked about things like exchange rate penalties and VAT collection. But I think those have been covered in the interim of my first asking the question as well. It sounds like flat-pricing works below a certain threshold of sales, but becomes more and more complex as you scale up, at least given the examples we are working with at the moment.

So far the large global businesses I've found either offer prices in local currencies or have dedicated regional business units. I imagine all of the ones that deal in a physical product hew to this model, and that more and digital products will be forced down this path as well.

HypersomniacLive: Can't a man dream? :(
Only if you are caught up on your Dream Tax payments. ;)
Post edited February 24, 2014 by IAmSinistar