It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
cich: Nah, they made another deal for distribution with Namco/Bandai. Apparently, they are best buddies again.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/19/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-signed-to-namco-bandai-in-australia/#comments
HypersomniacLive: Huh? One would have expected a different choice after the bitter experience with Witcher 2.
I hope Namco-Bandai wasn't the lowest bidder or something.
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: If we find the terms too onerous, we can elect to not sell it, but that's fundamentally our only rights when it comes to the titles on GOG.com. The fact that we have an audience for the games we sell means that we get a certain amount of negotiation power, but this is a case where, for the companies where they have set up regional pricing have contracts with retail chains and other digital distributors and they're not gonna break their covenants just to make us happy. Either we provide them with regional pricing or we don't sell their game. Simple as that.
macnbc: The thing that worries me still is that for pretty much any post you've made in this thread you could take out the words "regional pricing" and insert "DRM", and you could be saying the exact same thing in the future.

I'm quite certain that there are several publishers who've refused to sign on with GOG because of the no DRM stance. At what point would getting their games be more important to you than staying DRM free?
It wouldn't.

Our official mission statement, as recently painted in our office, is "To make the world's best games available DRM-Free". To that end, we spend some time thinking about what the main blocking issues for us were in preventing this from happening. One issue that cropped up continually in conversation was exactly what we're talking about today: we have rights holders for great games--the kind of games that would do fantastically on GOG.com, and that would be hugely enjoyed by our gamers--who cannot play ball with a company that prices things non-competitively. If we are truly striving to make the best games we can find available without DRM, we needed to solve this problem, and this was the best solution we could find.
Wow, I see I missed a flurry of posting and tons of up/down repping :). GOG really is damned if you do, damned if you don't. If a game takes too long to get released on GOG, there are posts bitching about that in the release threads. Now some games will be released on launch, albeit with a caveat, and posts bitching about it.

There is one very easy way to not allow this to affect you, regardless of where you live: DO NOT buy games on launch! Do you really need to play that game *right now*? Especially when so many of us have huge backlogs?

The real problem stems from publishers. They are the ones who control the prices. Avoid supporting the system these publishers have in place by not buying their games full price and instead wait until they are deeply discounted. Maybe then they will change their policies. Of course in reality, it would require a huge majority of people to act as one which will never happen. But at least you can do it on a personal level, just like you are taking a stand against DRM by buying DRM-free games.
ABH20: And so GOG takes yet another step away from what makes it unique and towards being just another digital store amongst many.
Like your Zod image :P
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: I honestly have no idea what you're talking about here.
amok: https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/344370937417826304 maybe?
That seems pretty tongue-in-cheek to me.
Marcomies: Can you promise that every game (big, small, old, new...) from now on won't be released with regional prices and you just raise your hands in the air and tell it's out of your hands?
TheEnigmaticT: For newer games, there are frequently in-place agreements that simply cannot be circumvented that relate to competitive pricing in various regions of the world
Thought so :)

So basically because physical distributors force AAA studios and smaller publishers to sign contracts stipulating regional pricing - much like what happened to CDPR with TW2 - and the bigger AAA publisher are often also the distributors who insist on regional pricing, you guys decided to drop one world pricing as your pillar (which was more than just a feature, but one of your main pillars) in favor of allowing regional pricing.

It's more along the lines of "for every silver lining there is a cloud."
Not much of the cloud mentioned in the original post ;) Seriously I'm American so I'm not affected by this, but if you do follow industry standards on regional pricing, you're going to allow a lot of your Eastern/southern European, Australian, and NZ customers to get price gouged. So I can understand why they are so upset as they thought you wouldn't do that to them.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by crazy_dave
What about using VPNs? Last I checked using one is technically legal but against EULA for some giant like Steam and they can likely afford to ban people that try to use them (or do they even bother?).

I doubt this will affect me much. I buy games that are relatively cheap so if I have to purchase a 5-10€ instead 5-10$ that's not the end of the world but at least some good can come from this by completing some series like Tom Clancy's I saw was mentioned that likely wasn't able to arrive due to flat prices rather than a DRM issue.

And I also agree that as long as this site keep DRM-free they should expand. The problem will be when we'll have to track what games are or not.
Marcomies: I'm not peeing on your head and telling you it's raining. It's more along the lines of "for every silver lining there is a cloud."
Nice Enigma nIce ;) and thanks for teaching me a new word today. Conflate... i shall have to figure out how to slip that into my science diploma somewhere ;)
scampywiak: That's a bloody joke.
Tell that to the fanatics who are only further encouraged to do crap when they see companies using such things.
TheEnigmaticT: If we are truly striving to make the best games we can find available without DRM, we needed to solve this problem, and this was the best solution we could find.
Okay then bring Silent Hill 2 to GOG and i'll forgive you. :p
There is already spam offering fake passports. Those could be handy in circumventing regional pricing.
You've got to give it to those spammers, they sure react fast. :-)
Marcomies: Can you promise that only new, big publisher releases of new games will be affected by regional stuff?
TheEnigmaticT: No, I can't; contracts come up for re-negotiation all the time, and when they do there's no telling what may happen. I can promise that we did not go into this change with the intent of re-pricing swathes of our catalog of classic games in a manner that's unfair to gamers around the world. I can promise you that we will strive our utmost to keep things fair for gamers everywhere in the world. But I'm not gonna make a promise on something like this and then find in 18 months or 2 years that things turned out differently than we had thought they would.
Translation: Every game in the catalog will eventually be regionally priced, as and when the contracts come up for renegotiation. Since it is now an option, every publisher will insist on it in the future.
Marcomies: Can you promise that every game (big, small, old, new...) from now on won't be released with regional prices and you just raise your hands in the air and tell it's out of your hands?
TheEnigmaticT: Yes, actually. This announcement is indicative of a relatively small change in our current catalog offering. A small change that we believe will end up making a big shift in the titles that we are able to offer you. But we will never simply assume that regional pricing is the way to go.
Doesn't really matter what you will assume, does it? The publisher will always assume it is the way to go.
Marcomies: Can you promise that GOG will never accept any game with any sort of DRM into its catalog for any reason?
TheEnigmaticT: Yes. Well, provided that you don't call anything in the cataog already something with DRM, lest I break this promise before I even get started.
Given that you just broke your promise not to introduce regional pricing, that's really not saying much. Granted, at this point, nothing you can say can really assure me of this.
Marcomies: ps. For the sake of mutual respect between you and your customers, don't try to feed us shit and call it candy, even if you honestly think that it's particularly good shit. The message I quoted here was the message you should have posted on the news, not the one about "Good news!" and "more good news!". I don't appreciate it when I'm being talked to like some media-illiterate toddler and I doubt anyone else here does either.
TheEnigmaticT: Well, here's the thing--and I've seen a lot of people echo this comment--it *is* good news. I think bringing Divinity: Original Sin and many other games that are fantastic examples of their genre to GOG.com is exciting. I think the fact that we're offering them for the same price as any other store in the world means that we're not necessarily directly competitive on price, but that's okay because selling on pricing is never a smart play in the long term. I think the fact that we care enough about our gamers to offer free games to you guys at our own costs--and that we have already gotten contractual agreements to do so in place for three games--should be good news to you as well.
Well, I think you were well aware that many of your loyal customers would disagree, and so, regardless of whether you think it's good news for GOG, trying to pass it off as though it would automatically be seen as good news by all of your customers is quite patronizing and disrespectful.
TheEnigmaticT: That seems pretty tongue-in-cheek to me.
I'm probably going to get toasted for this, but so does this announcement. :B
Tychoxi: I agree on the general sentiment, but you are presenting a false dichotomy. It's not either a) you just/mostly care about DRM and b) you just/mostly care about regional pricing.

There's a lot of people here who care about BOTH DRM-free games *and* regional pricing, me included. As I said on my post, I can tolerate it and reading most of the comments it seems like most other people can tolerate it too. And yes we can vote with our wallet and not buy regionally priced games or leave GOG entirely, that doesn't mean we can't comment here that we don't appreciate this development in particular and that we don't have a valid point.

I mean seriously, no regional pricing was one of GOG's key features!! You can't think we'll just see "some loud noise over unexpected change by a vocal minority."
Actually I wasn't presenting it as a choose one over the other and you automatically don't care at all about the other. The intention was presenting it as here is a list of things that are important to people and two of them are DRM-free and regional pricing, and everyone has to choose which of the two items is most important to them personally when it comes down to opening their wallet. If one has to decide between the two, which one would you choose?

If one chooses to not buy a game because it has regional pricing then that is more important than the DRM-free benefit of the game to the person - regardless of how important DRM-free is to them. DRM-free is more important to me personally, and I don't care either way about regional pricing or not and that includes whether I am affected by it or not. If one chooses to say they are both equally important to them they still have to make a decision as to whether or not to purchase a given game that comes up if it is regionally priced. If they decide that they would have bought the game - if it was global pricing but they are not going to buy it because it is regionally priced, and if the game is DRM-free in both cases, you eliminate the common factor between both options - the DRM-free aspect and you're left with their decision being based on regional pricing and ultimately proves to be more important to them which is what my scenario is suggesting.

I do care about the price I pay for my games and will continue to buy or not buy them here based on what I think is a fair price shown to me. If the prices shown to me on a given game are higher than they would be with global pricing I wont know, but I will know if the price is reasonable to me to pay for the value I perceive in the product regardless of what other people might be paying for the same product. If I perceive the price to be too high, it could be because it is just a price that I think is too high outright, or it could be because regional pricing has priced the game outside of the window I'm willing to pay and I wont buy it.

As for the perception of pricing being the same everywhere being fair, what's fair? People in different countries make diffrent levels of wages, have different taxation, have different cost of living, different unemployment rates, different distances to travel to work, and a multitude of other factors in such a way that $20 USD will vary from being pocket lint to some people, to being someone else's life savings in another part of the world. What would be "fair" could be argued to be prices that are geared to income and in the currency local to the individual, indexed pricing. That wouldn't work out for a multitude of reasons really. The fact is, life isn't fair, and before GOG came along to begin with gamers had pretty much next to nowhere to turn for DRM-free games or classic titles that work at all on their computers. If GOG or some site like GOG didn't come along and change this, everyone would either be stuck with draconian DRM in perpetuity and end up deciding to not buy or play games ever, or they'd be buying the games DRM encumbered with various restrictions etc. and grumbling about it, or they'd pirate the games. But they have the option to get a whole tonne of games at good prices DRM-free on GOG.com and it sounds like they'll have the opportunity to have even more in the near future, and possibly first day AAA titles to boot.

That's a future I consider brighter than limiting the catalogue to 10000 new $5 indie games per month, and if it means there is regional pricing, as much as that sucks it is a minor issue compared to the problem that DRM plagues upon the world IMHO.
Wishbone: Well, I think you were well aware that many of your loyal customers would disagree, and so, regardless of whether you think it's good news for GOG, trying to pass it off as though it would automatically be seen as good news by all of your customers is quite patronizing and disrespectful.
It's good news to me. Means more newer games.