It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

309: 3 - The choices are usually to build up, build out, or build down. Up and out are done enough in the real world, while down is mostly relegated to science fiction. I can't pass up a chance to make it happen.
What's this, a couple faces I don't believe I've seen before? Welcome, Elinnea and Fesin.

While using national parks was the only option not to get any votes, and all others getting at least a couple, it seemed uncertain if we would be able to come to a conclusion here. But ultimately, digging downwards won out by a hair above the threshold.
==== Overview ====
Civil Rights: Excellent (68)
Economy: Good (44)
Political Freedoms: Excellent (70) [+3]

The Free Land of Gogan is a massive, cultured nation, ruled by Doctor Marcin with an even hand, and renowned for its sprawling nuclear power plants. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 2.025 billion have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it devotes most of its attentions to Education, with areas such as Religion & Spirituality and Defence receiving almost no funds by comparison. The average income tax rate is 62%, and even higher for the wealthy. A large private sector is dominated by the Book Publishing industry.

Only the wealthy can afford monorail fares, an increasing percentage of the population's youth have homosexual parents, the nation is currently revamping its entire education system, and anti-government political posters adorn every building like wallpaper. Crime is totally unknown. Gogan's national animal is the Goglodyte, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the Gog.

Gogan is ranked 4,866th in The North Pacific and 112,082nd in the world for Most Armed, scoring -102 on the Magnum-Eastwood Ordnance Scale.

==== Issues ====
19 hours ago: Following new legislation in Gogan, anti-government political posters adorn every building like wallpaper.
The overview has been updated following the last decisions made.

A Question Of Faith (issue 310)
Infighting between major religious groups over which faith should represent Gogan in an international exhibition of holy relics escalated to a new high, today. After the latest incident, in which one official received a concussion from a sacred healing stone, all of the religious leaders are at last united - in demanding you choose a national religion.

1. "If you would grant us this one small mercy we would all be free from the iniquitous sin of envy," says Marleen Patel, nervously rubbing a small religious symbol. "One's faith is one's guiding light after all, and I believe if you choose a national religion, well, MINE anyway, that God will smile upon this nation full of heathens a little more kindly."

2. "I don't believe choosing one faith from the thousands out there is very fair," says Ivan Spirit, author of the critically acclaimed 'Agnosticism and You'. "Which god do we pick? How do we pick? It's impossible! We don't even know if higher beings exist and it's sheer arrogance to postulate otherwise! The government should officially declare that Gogan has no official religion, because the alternative would be self-damning. Not that we know that for sure, of course."

3. "Oh for chaos' sake! 'I don't know this, I don't know that' - well of course you don't!" shouts Pete Li, president of The Secular, Humanist, and Atheist Society. "But some of us have the guts to look at the available evidence and try to make something out of it! If the government has any brains or guts of its own it will reach the same conclusion that I and millions of other forward-looking people have reached: there is no God, there is no afterlife, and this is all there is. THAT, Doctor Marcin, is what the government's official stance should be."

4. "The only god this nation needs is the vengeful and unforgiving Violet!" screams Matilda Han, Grand High Poobah of the Order of Violet. "May her tentacles forever secrete slime. Embrace Violetism and we will usher in a new age of darkness across the land! Human sacrifice and death to all heretics and unbelievers! Violet is the only way!"

5. "The only deity this country needs is the one it already has, master," says Emmanuel Syme, one of your creepier advisers while obsequiously bowing on the floor. "I of course refer to you, Doctor Marcin, the finest ruler any humble subject could hope to have! We long to worship you and do your bidding! Some call that a cult of personality, but I prefer to call it... love."

==== Public announcement ====
Thanks to all of you who participated in this giveaway.

With the help of random.org, I have drawn three names out of the dustbin where I collect the cast votes. *Ahem* the names are: Nice_Boat, chevkoch, and oasis789. Please come up to the stage and choose a price. (That is, either tell the thread, or send a PM to Maighstir mentioning which $5.99 GOG you'd like. Promos and multiple games for a total of $6 or less are also valid options.)
Nice_Boat: ...
chevkoch: ...
oasis789: ...
Post edited March 26, 2014 by MGT
310: 6 Keep the mention of an unspecified God to maintain historical continuity, but do not endorse any specific religion.

In essence, whatever religious or non-religious existing heritage Gogan has, we keep and we make no additional adjustment to that for modern times. Maintain the status quo. I do not like 2 because that is a declaration of no religion, yet our people may have existing traditions, heritage, holidays that I would like to maintain.
Post edited March 26, 2014 by RWarehall
310: 1
RWarehall: 310: 6 Keep the mention of an unspecified God to maintain historical continuity, but do not endorse any specific religion.
It only goes to 5
Post edited March 26, 2014 by theslitherydeee
Interpret how you may, in essence, I vote one "No" vote to all options.
RWarehall: 310: 6 Keep the mention of an unspecified God to maintain historical continuity, but do not endorse any specific religion.
The closest to that would be... 2?

Personall oppinion though... um, let's say 310: 3
Option two seems reasonable from a education view of point (as an atheist borned in a christian "believe what you want to" type of family, I think that's the right thing to do), but not for a goverment religious status.

This is way I'll vote:
310:3 - No gods or kings, only man.

MGT: ==== Public announcement ====
Thanks to all of you who participated in this giveaway.

With the help of random.org, I have drawn three names out of the dustbin where I collect the cast votes. *Ahem* the names are: Nice_Boat, chevkoch, and oasis789. Please come up to the stage and choose a price. (That is, either tell the thread, or send a PM to Maighstir mentioning which $5.99 GOG you'd like. Promos and multiple games for a total of $6 or less are also valid options.)
oasis789: ...
MGT:
Oh, Sweet!! :D
Edit: Didn't know MGT and Maighstir were different persons, I already thanked Maighstir by private, so I'll now say in public: thank you MGT!
Post edited March 27, 2014 by Nice_Boat
310: 2 - seems to be the most balanced and least volatile approach.

Congrats to Nice_Boat, chevkoch, and oasis789!
310: 4, I'm pretty sure we've voted on this before...

Thanks Maighstir and MGT!
Post edited March 26, 2014 by oasis789
MGT: With the help of random.org, I have drawn three names out of the dustbin where I collect the cast votes. *Ahem* the names are: Nice_Boat, chevkoch, and oasis789.
That's wonderful! Thanks so much for this giveaway, Maighstir! +1 to the rep, once more.

I'd love to get <span class="bold">Arx Fatalis</span> please. Thanks! Congrats to Nice_Boat and oasis789 as well.

####

310:2 - This current dispute within religious groups does not need governmental mediation. Nor should the administration favor one religion over others; even a hint of discrimination is a no-go.
310:dismiss

I was tempted to say 3, but secularists and humanists don't have a stance on the existence of a deity, so it's not realistic they would hold this positition...
310:2
Post edited March 26, 2014 by Mrstarker
310:2 - Long live Secularism

Congrats to the winners of the national lottery and a special thanks to Maighstir! +1
Maighstir: What's this, a couple faces I don't believe I've seen before? Welcome, Elinnea and Fesin.
Why, thank you! /bow

310: Dismiss. I don't like any of those options. The country is already in the top 10% of the world as most Godforsaken, no need to exacerbate that by officially saying no to religion.