It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

79:1

Also in favor for Nodrm. It even sounds vaguely Polish.
Issue 79: 5. It sounds like Gogan is suffering from some rather extreme administrative bloat. It would it would be too bad if this means we can't name it Nodrm, but such is life.
Seems we'll keep the current capital city and government building.

Perhaps we can name it, perhaps not, we'll see when the decision takes effect.
Post edited June 02, 2013 by Maighstir
==== Overview ====
Civil Rights: Excellent (70)
Economy: Weak (20)
Political Freedoms: Very Good (68)

The Free Land of Gogan is a huge, genial nation, remarkable for its keen interest in outer space. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 262 million are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.

The enormous, socially-minded government is effectively ruled by the Department of Education, with areas such as Law & Order and Religion & Spirituality receiving almost no funds by comparison. The average income tax rate is 38%, but much higher for the wealthy. A substantial private sector is dominated by the Pizza Delivery industry.

Marketing departments of corporate giants compete to sponsor little league teams, guns are banned, organised sports are frowned upon as frivolous, and scenic mountain valleys are flooded with water as damming projects get underway. Crime is totally unknown. Gogan's national animal is the Goglodyte, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Gog.

Gogan is ranked 1,060th in The North Pacific and 29,245th in the world for Nudest, with 192 Cheeks per Square Mile.

==== Issues ====
No changes in the overview (except the daily ranking line and inherent randomness of statements), due to dismissing the issue last time.

Secret Police In Gogan? (issue 80)
Anarchists have been covertly putting up anti-government posters all over Gogan. Some of your closest advisors have suggested the implementation of a secret police force to deal with the more... difficult members of society.

1: "Sometimes a government has got to deal with something without having to go through the 'proper channels'," says Xu Cho, who does not exist within any of Gogan's records. "It happens sometimes and we have to deal with it. It's not just anarchists either - it's the terrorists, the criminals, the traitors, and the goddamn hippies. With a secret police we can arrest the troublemakers and torture them to find other dissenters without having to worry about fiddly matters like human rights."

2: "Don't listen to that idiot!" whispers Sashona Dovey, one of your more guilt-ridden henchpersons. "I don't know how you feel about this but I think this would be a bad path for our government to go down. Gogan shouldn't resort to deceit and off-the-record brutality to put away people. A secret police force would ruin our fine nation. It's time our government was candid with its people and let them say what they want!"

3: "Or how about we be candid AND have a secret police force," says Peggy Winters, your head spy from behind a newspaper with eyeholes cut out. "We could just reassign all the normal police into secret police. The beauty of it is that we won't have to bother solving crimes if it doesn't benefit the government! It's what we've always wanted! Not what the people want of course, but if they complain we can just make them... disappear."

==== Public announcement ====
Post edited June 02, 2013 by MGT
80.2 - You want the people to believe in the government, not be afraid of it as that never works out well in the long run. Of course, giving people too much freedom doesn't work out too well either. But I'd rather take a Utopian view as opposed to a dictorial view.
Would've chosen option 3 if the entire normal police force didn't get reassigned to secret police.

On a side note, just discovered this thread tonight so hope I'm doing this right. Pretty cool game that I wish I noticed earlier than now.
80:2
ww_gog: On a side note, just discovered this thread tonight so hope I'm doing this right. Pretty cool game that I wish I noticed earlier than now.
You're doing great, always nice to see new faces.
80:2 - a free land doesn't need such a tool to suppress it's people.
80: 2.
Secret police always turn into secret POLITICAL police! We can't have that and we will not be doing things Stalin's way.
Lifthrasil: Edit: to the 5-voters. Consider that we won't get to name the capital of Gogan if we decide not to have one. And I kind of like to have a capital with a unique name.
Isn't 2 a 'no capital' option?
5 is: re-use old buildings and reduce bureaucracy.
Post edited June 03, 2013 by Novotnus
The citizens should have no reason to fear their government, we will not implement a secret police force.

Novotnus: Isn't 2 a 'no capital' option?
5 is: re-use old buildings and reduce bureaucracy.
I believe he was referring to the fact that it didn't say specifically that we could name it what we want to. And it does seem he's right, the status for "Capital" says "Unlockable: Awaiting legislation." (same as in my own nation where I opted for not having a capital at all) despite the legislation having gone through over half a day ago.
Post edited June 03, 2013 by Maighstir
Maighstir: I believe he was referring to the fact that it didn't say specifically that we could name it what we want to. And it does seem he's right, the status for "Capital" says "Unlockable: Awaiting legislation." (same as in my own nation where I opted for not having a capital at all) despite the legislation having gone through over half a day ago.
So the description is kind of misleading... There's a difference between: "we don't need the capital" and "we want to name one of our cities the capital instead of building a new one just for the capital"...
We will see how it turns out when the voting is over :)
==== Overview ====
Civil Rights: Excellent (70)
Economy: Weak (20)
Political Freedoms: Very Good (68)

The Free Land of Gogan is a huge, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its national health service. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 268 million are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.

The medium-sized, socially-minded government is effectively ruled by the Department of Education, with areas such as Law & Order and Religion & Spirituality receiving almost no funds by comparison. The average income tax rate is 28%, but much higher for the wealthy. A substantial private sector is dominated by the Pizza Delivery industry.

Guns are banned, organised sports are frowned upon as frivolous, scenic mountain valleys are flooded with water as damming projects get underway, and the government has adopted a more thrifty attitude to administrating the country's needs. Crime is totally unknown. Gogan's national animal is the Goglodyte, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Gog.

Gogan is ranked 1,960th in The North Pacific and 47,005th in the world for Lowest Overall Tax Burden, scoring -5 on the Hayek Index.

==== Issues ====
15 hours ago: Following new legislation in Gogan, the government has adopted a more thrifty attitude to administrating the country's needs.
The overview has been updated following the last decisions made.

Circus Clowns Cause Chaos! (issue 81)
Rather than finding them funny, a recent survey shows that most children are actually afraid of clowns. The public is demanding that you do something to stop these terrifying menaces.

1: "Kill them! Kill them all! Or... you know, just ban them," opines noted sociologist Al Song. "Better yet, why not ban all circuses from Gogan! Think about it, they're distracting children from what's important in life; namely, doing well in school, getting a job and contributing to the economy. That's what's important here!"

2: "Banning clowns is a little extreme, if you ask me," inputs your Minister for Culture, Naki Schultz. "I think what we need to do is educate children about what clowns actually do. Tell them they aren't scary and that what they do is actually beneficial! After all, happy kids are less likely to go down the path of crime, which means less spending goes to the police and more funds can be diverted to somewhere important - like my Department!"

3: "It's not always about the kids," mumbles a red-nosed man in the corner. "Think of us clowns! We have to put up with the kids screaming, and shouting and hurling things at us. How would you feel if you were dressed up like a fool and paraded in front of 8 year olds! The Government needs to create a program to treat us clowns for depression - you don't know what it's like, man. You weren't there!"

==== Public announcement ====
Sadly, it seems we won't get to rename Gogan City (unless the issue appears again in the future). The status for "Capital" says "Unlockable: Awaiting legislation." despite the legislation having gone through over half a day ago.
Post edited June 03, 2013 by MGT
Novotnus: So the description is kind of misleading... There's a difference between: "we don't need the capital" and "we want to name one of our cities the capital instead of building a new one just for the capital"...
We will see how it turns out when the voting is over :)
Then again, the city we explicitly would have been able to to name is an already-existing city. Neither of the two options for a new city (theme park and underground shelter) mentioned that option. It doesn't fit with my brand of logic.
Maighstir: Then again, the city we explicitly would have been able to to name is an already-existing city. Neither of the two options for a new city (theme park and underground shelter) mentioned that option. It doesn't fit with my brand of logic.
Maybe it's not the best example, but we have a city in Poland, which was renamed Stalinogrod back when we a satelite of the Soviet Union.

81: Dismiss!
Don't like it, don't watch it!
Don't like your job, change it!
Post edited June 03, 2013 by Novotnus
Hey, something works - "Crime is totally unknown."

81: Dismiss. This is not really an issue on governmental level... If it were mimes, on the other hand. Havelock Vetinari has the right policy there.