It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

==== Overview ====
Civil Rights: Good (62)
Economy: Struggling (8)
Political Freedoms: Excellent (70)

The Free Land of Gogan is a huge, cultured nation, ruled by Doctor Marcin with an even hand, and notable for its irreverence towards religion. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 997 million are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it concentrates mainly on Education, although Social Welfare and Social Equality are on the agenda. The average income tax rate is 56%, and even higher for the wealthy. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.

The breathalyser pledge is a traditional part of marriages in Gogan, the government is giving peace a chance, meat-eating is frowned upon, and calling out of the blue has become taboo. Crime is totally unknown. Gogan's national animal is the Goglodyte, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Gog.

Gogan is ranked 4,331st in The North Pacific and 96,743rd in the world for Largest Timber Woodchipping Industry, scoring -5 on the Tasmanian Pulp Environmental Export Index.

==== Issues ====
No changes in the overview (except the daily ranking line, population count and inherent randomness of statements), due to dismissing the issue last time.

Violent Violetists Protest Artists (issue 203)
Several musicians have recently produced songs in which "Violet" sings silly and offensive things, causing outcries of horror from the Order of Violet.

1: "THIS IS BLASPHEMY!" shouts Erica Summers, Grand High Poobah of the Order of Violet. "Our holy scriptures specifically forbid any portrayal of our prophet's most holy voice. We cannot permit people to slander and mock our prophet and insult all of us. These people are simply doing this to see if we are extremists. Death to the blasphemers!"

2: Speaking anonymously and from hiding, one of the musicians says, "It was just meant to be a joke! I never thought that they'd take it so seriously. I just wanted to give them a little ribbing like I do the other major religions of Pastafarianism and Frisbeetarianism." Marlon Neumann glances over their shoulder to see if anyone is watching, "Please don't try to figure out who I am. I'm scared for my safety. The government should protect my freedom to insult whomever I want. Freedom of speech should hold nothing sacred, not even God."

3: "Freedom of speech is important, but so is freedom of religion. Surely we can strike some sort of balance?" says Hack Tan, chief spokesperson for the GSOC (the Gogan Society of Compromisers). "Freedom of speech comes with a responsibility. People must avoid anything that insults another's religion, and if they aren't willing to do it themselves, the government must enforce it."

4: "His Holiness, the Grand High Poobah of Violet, has the right idea, but the wrong religion," says Rosalia Wilson, the Prelate of Primary Public Relations for the fanatical organization Gogan's Concerned Citizens for Our God. "This nation needs an official religion, and not support the Godless heathens who worship the idolatrous Violet. Appoint me as your spiritual adviser an I'll ensure that all people worship God in the correct way."

5: "They've got it all wrong. Freedom of speech isn't the problem, religion is!" shouts Ali Dodinas, at a local AA (Atheists Anonymous) meeting. "If religion were outlawed, this problem would solve itself. Just send them in for medical treatment. After all, anyone who believes in some big invisible dude who can do anything is clearly nuts."

==== Public announcement ====
Second national voting lottery is currently running, see post 1532 for info.
203:5 -- time for The Cure again.
203:2

5 is tempting, but maybe a little oppressive?
203:2 -- religion must not get any extra protection. Although insult to a concrete person is bad and should be restricted in common sense, freedom of speech is prior when speaking generally.
203:2, but i hate that this sidesteps the hard cases like hate speech
Dzsono: 5 is tempting, but maybe a little oppressive?
It has been chosen before, with hilarious results to get NationStates to acknowledge the decision.
Post edited October 05, 2013 by Mrstarker
203: 5. It looks like we need to boost The Cure
A close call again, a 3:2 ratio between complete freedom of speech and complete ban of religion.
The issue will be dismissed.
==== Overview ====
Civil Rights: Good (62)
Economy: Struggling (8)
Political Freedoms: Very Good (66) [-4]

The Free Land of Gogan is a massive, genial nation, ruled by Doctor Marcin with an even hand, and renowned for its irreverence towards religion. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 1.002 billion are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it is mainly concerned with Education, although Social Welfare and Social Equality are on the agenda. The average income tax rate is 57%, and even higher for the wealthy. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.

The government is giving peace a chance, meat-eating is frowned upon, calling out of the blue has become taboo, and protests are legal but strictly supervised. Crime is totally unknown. Gogan's national animal is the Goglodyte, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Gog.

Gogan is ranked 1,084th in The North Pacific and 30,942nd in the world for Longest Average Lifespans, scoring 17 on the Enoch Index.

==== Issues ====
19 hours ago: Following new legislation in Gogan, protests are legal but strictly supervised.
The overview has been updated following the last decisions made.

Licence To Breed? (issue 204)
Increasing reports of child abuse and neglect in Gogan has prompted local pressure groups to call for 'parental licences'.

1: "You need a licence to keep Goglodytes or drive a car," points out local current affairs commentator, Margaret Gutenberg. "So why should just any random idiot get to be a mother or father? It just doesn't make sense! If all potential parents had to pass tests to prove they're responsible enough, I'm sure you'd find that it would help decrease the level of child abuse, and increase proper discipline in the home."

2: "This is madness!" screams Louis Hernandez. "You can't deny perfectly good people the right to bring life into this world! Goglodytes manage it easily enough, and you can't tell me they've got more responsibility than your average upstanding citizen of Gogan! The government should keep out of such matters - I've always said social workers and welfare was a drain on the budget. Yes, there will be some sad cases of neglect, but shouldn't we be giving parents the benefit of the doubt?"

3: "The answer to this problem is patently obvious," says Al James, your minister of Social Welfare. "The government simply needs to give more funding to the welfare department so that we can recruit more social workers to carry out regular checks on parents and judge whether or not they're doing a good job of looking after their children. It'll be expensive, but at least it's a damn sight fairer than licensing parents."

==== Public announcement ====
Second national voting lottery is currently running, see post 1532 for info.
Post edited October 09, 2013 by MGT
204:2

I know some social workers and they would definitely vote 1.
204:3 The state has to protect the weakest of the weak, but should avoid paternalism of its citizens.
204: 1
204:3 -- My heart says 1, but my brain says dismiss. Then again, dismissing issues is boring.
Post edited October 06, 2013 by Mrstarker
204:3
204:1